Monday, December 10, 2007

My Civil War Ball Gown



This is the Civil War Ball gown I made for myself a few years back for the Civil War encampment weekend in Zoar, Ohio. I love the dress I made but I have worn it for the past 2 civil war events now and it is time for a new one. I would like to make a sheer one but I am not sure if I want to go through the all the work that it takes to make one. Plus I haven't found a good pattern I like yet. At least I have 2 years to think about it. LOL

The dress is made from a plaid taffeta. I am wearing a corset underneath the bodice and a hoop skirt with a petticoat under the skirt. The bodice is lined and has boning in the seams. There is pipping around the arm sycs and all the seams. The puffed sleeves have a sleeve jockey with black beading hanging from it. Across the bodice I have a sash with rosettes at the top and bottom. In the center is a button and tassels. The skirt is a 3 tiered flounced skirt with set in waist band. Along the bottom of the tiers I have black ribbon for accent.

No comments: